2017 Bretton Woods Nordic Marathon
Saturday, March 11, 2017 - CANCELLED
To Benefit the New England Ski Museum
The Bretton Woods Nordic Center at the Omni Mount Washington Resort is home to such classic events as the Mount Washington Cup and the Geschmossel, the longest running citizen’s Nordic race in New Hampshire. We invite all Nordic skiers to be part of an epic, classic technique event to benefit the New England Ski Museum.
Staged between the historic Mount Washington Hotel and majestic Mount Washington, the New England Ski Museum’s Bretton Woods Nordic Marathon at Omni Mount Washington Resort has quickly become a North Country winter tradition. This 42-kilometer, classic format, cross-country ski race showcases one of the largest Nordic systems in the northeast. In the tracks of the famed 1982 US National Championships and such legends as Bill Koch and Tim Caldwell, this race is steeped in history and Nordic skiing tradition. The course layout provides a challenge to experienced racers while making use of terrain that is accessible and enjoyable for skiers of all abilities.
Past winners include Olympians Justin Freeman (2010, 2011) and Dorcas Wonsavge (2009, 2010) and top collegiate racers. Participants range in age from 11 to 83; with a two lap course and rest stations. The Bretton Woods Nordic Marathon is a great event for recreational and competitive skiers alike; there is also an option to ski on an untimed basis.
Please call the Bretton Woods Nordic Center at (603) 278-3322 for more information.
Youth event: Vermonter Bill Koch won the first United States Olympic medal in cross country skiing and developed the Nordic skating technique. The US youth league is known as the Bill Koch League (BKL). There are 2 children’s BKL events. Please see below for more information. Children may ski in the marathon or half-marathon (register as U23.)
- Bill Koch League (BKL) registrations are day-of-race only.
- $10 Lollipop Race (0.5k) per racer (ages 5-7, includes banquet ticket)
- $15 BKL Youth Race (1.5k & 3.0k) per racer (includes banquet ticket)
The event is limited to 400 skiers. The Bretton Woods Nordic Marathon is part of two New England Nordic Ski Association race series. (42k Marathon is part of the Marathon Series; 21k Half Marathon is part of the Zak Cup)
| Registration Fees:
| By January 2
| By January 23rd
| By February 27th
| By 11pm, March 9th
| U23 Rate by February 27th
| U23 Rate by 11pm, March 9th
- Banquet tickets are $10 for those who are not racing
- If the limit of 400 racers has not been reached by March 9th, a limited number of day-of-event entries will be accepted at a rate of $110 per racer ($70 for U23).
Friday, March 10, 2017
- 11:00am - 7:00pm
Bib Pickup: Pickup your bib and receive a complimentary course preview during normal operation hours. Day-of-Race registrations accepted on a space available basis.
Bretton Woods Nordic Center
Saturday, March 11, 2017
At the Finish Line
- 7:00am - 8:00am
Last Minute Bib Pickup and “Day-of-race” entries accepted on a space-available basis.
Bretton Woods Nordic Center
- 8:00 am - 9:15 am
Bill Koch League (BKL) Registration
Racers gather at the start area no later than 9:15am
Marathon Start! Timed/untimed, full and half-marathons.
- 10:00am BKL Youth Race Starts! (Ages 12 & under) Gather at start by 9:45am.
BKL Lollipop Race starts! (ages 5-7)
A 0.5km race – participants and parents meet behind the Nordic Center and walk to the start/finish area.
- Flower Ceremonies: Cheer on your friends and family as they cross the finish line. Finish times are posted inside sponsor tents. Flower Ceremonies for 21K and 42K as soon as first male and female finishers cross the line in each race.
Finish Line near the “Stone Pillar” at Nordic Center
- 1:30 pm: Timing Ceases; racers starting 2nd lap after 11:30 warned they may not appear in timed results.
Immediately Following Race
- 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Awards Ceremony: Join us in the Main Dining Room of the historic Mount Washington Hotel for the Nordic Marathon Awards Ceremony.
- 12:00pm Refreshments
- 1:00pm Buffet Opens (bib is your meal ticket; All others must purchase ticket online or at door)
- 2:00pm Awards are presented